Installing or Changing the Tool to Cut the Aligner
- Make sure the spindle is off (it can be hard to tell when running at low RPM’s)
- Locate the lever on the spindle and pull it towards you until it clicks into the “Open” position.
- Insert the tool into the collet with the desired amount of tool left sticking out
- Push the lever back to the vertical (away from you), “Lock” position. Give the tool a bit of a tug to make sure it is secure.
Turning on the Machine for the First Time
- Plug the power cord into an outlet and then connect the other side to the machine (lower right).
- Plug the USB into a port on a laptop or computer, and then plug the other side into the machine.
- Turn the machine on (press the button above the outlet to the left, the - should be depressed).
- Wait 1-3 minutes for the red LED light to start blinking.
- The first time you turn on the machine you will need to download the drivers for the machine. Those can be downloaded here, scroll down to the screen shown below and download the driver appropriate for the system you are running. Then install the driver.
- Once the driver is installed and the red LED is flashing open a browser (Chrome, Firefox or Safari) and go to 192.168.7.2. Note, internet explorer browser will not work. Note you are not connecting to the internet here you are connecting to the address of the machine, so you do not need an internet connection.
- The User Interface will open as shown below.
- Troubleshooting: If you have any issues with installation of the driver first, make sure that you can see blue lights behind the mini-USB when plugged in. If you cannot see any blue lights you may need to push the mini-USB in a bit more. Be sure that your computer sees a device is connected. Please email email@example.com or call +1 406 451 3799 if driver issues persist. Please let us know if you can see the user interface shown in Step 7 and the lower left hand corner just indicates ‘Connecting’ instead of ‘Connected’ or if you are getting a page time out.
- By default the power to the axes will be off, in order to enable the axes click on the “E-Stop” button in the upper right corner of the screen. You will note that the E-stop (red button) on the Pocket NC mill will blink until the motor power is enabled and will be solid after the motors are active. The E-Stop button turns to red to indicate it’s on.
- Before running any programs the machine must be homed. Click the “Home All” button in order to send all axes to their home positions. The screenshot below shows the coordinates of the machine’s home position.
- Lastly, run the Warm-Up cycle, this will prepare the spindle to cut. If the machine has been off for more than 12 hours but less than 1 week it will run a 10 minute warm-up cycles. If the machine has been off for more than 1 week it will run a 50 minute warm-up cycle. Before running the cycle be sure that the tool is installed and secure (it is not good to run the machine without a tool installed in the spindle) and that the air is on. Do not interrupt the warm-up cycle and note that the warm-up cycle will stop automatically. If the warm up cycles runs longer than 50 minutes please contact us (firstname.lastname@example.org or +1 406 451 3799) and do not run it again.
Measuring Tool Offset (telling the machine where the end of the tool is)
- Make sure the machine has been homed (Home All).
- Navigate to the “Tooling” page of the user interface which can be found in the upper left between Production and Conf.
- With the tool installed click the “Measure Tool 1” button in the right most column.
- Click the green flashing LED on the machine or the resume button in the controller.
- The resulting tool length offset should measure between -3.0 and -3.5 to properly cut out an aligner. If this value is not achieved, change the length of the tool and re-measure.